This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1025280



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Morecambe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Oct-1977

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 391842

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SD4364 MARINE ROAD CENTRAL, Morecambe 939-1/5/45 (South side) 07/10/77 Nos.207-214 (Consecutive) The Winter Gardens


Theatre. 1896 by Mangnall and Littlewood. Rear elevations rendered, facade of red terracotta and brick. Slate roof. Facade has central doorway, and 6 shop units with some degree of C20 disfigurement but with some original doors and fascias. In front are cast-iron columns which supported a glazed canopy, now demolished. Above, the two 3-storey corner towers are linked by a glazed 1st floor arcade with balustrade and central projection. The towers have 3rd floor lunette windows, and shaped gables with finials. The wide central gable is set back and has a lunette below a stepped coping with volutes and finials. Interior: the richly-decorated entrance foyer has a mosaic floor, a ceiling of elaborate plasterwork, dark timber revolving doors, 3 box offices, and inner carved doors with leaded glazing. The walls are of terracotta and colured glazed tiles. Stairs rise to left and right and have marble steps, mosaic landings, glazed terracotta balustrades, and tiled dados. At 1st floor level the foyer to the circle is in a similar style, with a plasterwork ceiling and wall panels, and 2 flights of stairs leading to the upper circle. The auditorium has a plasterwork ceiling with arched ribs spanning the 118ft width and with richly decorated panels. The 2 tiers of balconies have raking seating and ornamented fronts. The procenium arch has an entablature, columns, and scrolled brackets, all enriched with ornament. It is flanked by 2 tiers of paired boxes with curved fronts. The earliest part of the Winter Gardens complex, originally the 'People's Palace', which opened in 1878, lay to the west of the surviving building and was demolished in 1982. (Bingham R: Lost Resort?: 147, 273).

Listing NGR: SD4309864383

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Bingham, R K, Lost Resort?273
Bingham, R K, Lost Resort?147

National Grid Reference: SD 43098 64383


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025280 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2018 at 03:45:19.

End of official listing