19, CASTLE STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1025283
Date first listed:
13-Nov-1972
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Apr-1994
Statutory Address:
19, CASTLE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 19, CASTLE STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025283 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 01:33:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
19, CASTLE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Carlisle (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
NY3986856053

Details

CARLISLE

NY3956SE CASTLE STREET 671-1/6/72 (East side) 13/11/72 No.19 (Formerly Listed as: CASTLE STREET (East side) Nos.17 AND 19)

GV II

House now office. Dated and inscribed J & M F 1798 on shared rainwater head, with extensive early and late C19 alterations (a further rainwater head inscription C & A F 1898 is probably only commemorating the centenary). Calciferous sandstone ashlar facade (remainder of walls of Flemish bond brick) on red sandstone plinth; first-floor sill course and eaves cornice. Hipped graduated slate roof; shared original ridge brick chimney stack. 3 storeys, 3 symmetrical bays, built as a pair with No.17. Double-depth, central-stair plan. Facade is completely early C19 and can be compared with the different original facade of No.17. Central C20 double doors under moulded entablature and recessed semicircular arch. Flanking C20 windows (sill level lowered in 1989) in semicircular arches to match doorway. Interval ground floor red sandstone pilasters, paired beyond windows. First floor central sash window with glazing bars in plain stone reveals flanked by tripartite windows under elliptical super-ordinate arches. Upper floor windows in plain stone reveals and stone sills. Return wall faces onto Long Lane with some of the ground floor detail continued round the corner. Rear 2-storey bowed bay window and round-headed staircase window with intersecting glazing bars. INTERIOR has rear principal ground floor room with elaborate moulded plaster ceiling cornice. Original cantilever stone staircase with scrolled wrought-iron balusters and moulded wooden handrail. Some original panelled doors and panelled internal shutters. HISTORY: This was the house of the Forster family; a Joseph Forster married Mary Robinson on 11 December 1785 at St Mary's Church and it is possible that they are the J & M F on the rainwater head; when their banking business collapsed in 1837, the house was to be sold and was advertised in Carlisle Journal, 13 April 1839, described as having a "polished white stone ashlar front". For illustration see Robert Fell (1981). Home for the Carlisle Liberal Club 1881-5 and later the office of the Carlisle and District State Management Scheme until 1971. (Carlisle Journal: 13 April 1839; Fell, Robert: Carlisle Liberal Club Ltd. Centenary, 1881-1981: 1981-: P.2).

Listing NGR: NY3986856053

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
386654
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Fell, R, Carlisle Liberal Club Limited Centenary 1881-1981, (1981), 2
'Carlisle Journal' in 13 April, (1839)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Oct 2000
Reference: IOE01/00530/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Samantha Jones. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].