This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1025295

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Swale

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Stalisfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 176527

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 95 SE STALISFIELD CHURCH ROAD (east side)

6/121 Church of St. Mary

24.1.67 II*

Parish church. C13 and restored 1904. Flint and sandstone with plain tiled roof. Chancel with south chapel, nave with aisles, north tower. Exterior heavily restored, tower topped by weather vane dated 1904, over a wooden belfry with tiled roof.- Three light C15 east window, otherwise C19 fenestration. Double chamfered west doorway. Interior: nave arcades of 2 bays, on square piers with chamfered corners and trefoiled archlet to heavy moulded abaci, Roof of 3 tall crown posts. Single chamfered arch on imposts from chancel to chapel and blocked arch to demolished north chapel. Double chamfered chancel arch. Fittings: trefoil headed piscina in chancel. Rood screen:C15 perpendicular. Five bays, each with four-light traceried openings- with crenellated oblique transoms. Vine motif frieze above blank tracery on lower panels, with angels, eagles and roses in spandrels. Attached shafts support frieze of Tudor flowers with renewed cove. C13 font on 5 shafts with 4 blank arches on each side of bowl. Royal coat of arms (obscured at time of survey) carved in high relief on nave south wall. (See B.O.E. Kent II, 1983, 465 and illus. 65.)

Listing NGR: TQ9673852434

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 465

National Grid Reference: TQ 96738 52434

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025295 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2017 at 11:46:43.

End of official listing