SOUTHLANDS HOSPITAL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1025300

Date first listed: 28-Aug-1951

Statutory Address: SOUTHLANDS HOSPITAL, 1-4, WEST STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of SOUTHLANDS HOSPITAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025300 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 11:41:50.

Location

Statutory Address: SOUTHLANDS HOSPITAL, 1-4, WEST STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Shepway (District Authority)

Parish: New Romney

National Grid Reference: TR 06242 24758

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TR 0624 1/41

WEST STREET (South West Side) Southlands Hospital Nos 1 to 4 (consec)

28.8.51.

GV I A group of Almshouses founded by John Southland and called after him Southland's Hospital, They were founded in 1610 and rebuilt in1734. 2 storeys brown brick. Tiled roof and brick modillion cornice, the bricks inserted diagonally with the points protruding. The arrangement of the windows is rather unusual. Each house has 1 sash on the ground and 1st floors and there are 2 sashes in all between the ground and lst floors. The 5 sashes are set in moulded surrounds and both the ground floor and the 2 sashes above have cambered heads. Plain doors with 4 narrow panels running the whole length. Medieval stone rubble plinth with flint galleting. Plaque: "This hospital being the gift of John Southland. Gent. Anno 1610 was rebuilt at ye charge of Sir Robert Andrew and Sir Henry Furness Bart (date illegible) and was further endowed by Thomas Baker Gent. Anno 1734 and by Richard Rothwell Da Daglish MRCS Anno 1908".

Cheriton Lodge, Nos 3 to 5 (consec), Southlands Hospital (Nos 1 to 4), The Limes (Nos 1 & 2) form a group.

Listing NGR: TR0625424737

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 175067

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing