This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST PETER

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1025326

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH BANK, WALLSEND

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: North Tyneside

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Aug-1947

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 303394

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 04/01/2013

NZ 36 NW 7/146 (inset) 18.8.47

WALLSEND CHURCH BANK (south side)

Church of St. Peter

II* G.V.

Parish church dated 1809 and restoration 1892 on brass plaque in porch. Paid for by tontine and partly by Dean and Chapter of Durham. Coursed squared sandstone with plinth; snecked sandstone additions of chancel with south aisle, tower buttresses and stair turret. Roofs of Welsh slate; stone flags to stair turret. Church: west tower with south porch; nave and north vestry; chancel and south porch. Perpendicular style. Pointed-arched west door in chamfered, moulded surround, in porch of 3-stage tower; 3-light windows and 2-light belfry openings in upper stages; buttresses with many offsets, slit windows in octagonal stair turret; battlemented parapet with gargoyles. 4-bay nave has 3-light windows; 2-light windows in vestry with elliptical-headed door. Square-headed chancel windows under flower-ornamented string on grotesque animal corbels; string continuous to gable above 5-light 2-centred-arched east window. Rough corbel table to nave. Pinnacled battlements. Interior plaster with ashlar dressings above panelled dado. Wide double-chamfered chancel arch on octagonal columns from which spring side arches to aisle and organ chamber. Cusped, collared, hammer-beam and king post nave roof, with large angels on hammers; panelled chancel roof. Font resited from Holy Cross Church (q.v.) in west baptistry; 3 sedilia in south chancel. Glass in south aisle by Atkinson; in north aisle by Ethel Rhine Strang. Source: W. Richardson History of the Parish of Wallsend, 1923 pp 123-144.

Listing NGR: NZ3097466708

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Richardson, W, History of the Parish of Wallsend, (1923), 123-144

National Grid Reference: NZ 30974 66708

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025326 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2017 at 08:45:53.

End of official listing