This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

TOWN HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TOWN HALL

List entry Number: 1025330

Location

TOWN HALL, HIGH STREET EAST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: North Tyneside

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Feb-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 303403

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WALLSEND HIGH STREET EAST (south side) NZ 36 NW 7/155 Town Hall G.V. II Town Hall, now Borough offices. 1907-8 by E.F.W. Liddle and P.L. Brown for the Borough of Wallsend. Bright red brick with ashlar plinth and dressings; Welsh slate roof with copper corner turret roof. Baroque style. 2 storeys : 11 bays, the 2 at right set back, and 2 curved corner bays. One-bay pavilions flank 7-bay left section with pedimented central bay containing recessed round-headed double door and balustraded balcony to first floor tripartite window under segmental arch with tall double keystone; borough arms in panel above. Round- headed mullioned and transomed windows in rusticated ground floor; paired sash windows in architraves in first floor with Ionic Order and balustraded parapet. Flanking pavilions have similar ground-floor windows, segmental-headed first- floor single sash under broken segmental pediment on brick pilasters. 2 bays set back at right have sash windows, 2 curved right corner bays cupport 2-stage round turret with 8 openings, entablature to each stage, and dome. Bracketed clock in right pavilion. 9-bay return to Lawson Street in similar style. Source: W. Richardson, History of the Parish of Wallsend, Newcastle 1923 pp 393-5.

Listing NGR: NZ3039866473

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Richardson, W, History of the Parish of Wallsend, (1923), 393-5

National Grid Reference: NZ 30398 66473

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025330 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2017 at 10:22:43.

End of official listing