CHURCH OF ST LUKE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1025335

Date first listed: 18-Aug-1947

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LUKE, STATION ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LUKE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025335 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 14:24:38.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LUKE, STATION ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: North Tyneside (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: NZ 29947 66308

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 26 NE 6/168 18.8.47

WALLSEND STATION ROAD (west side)

Church of St. Luke

II

G.V. Parish church. 1885-87 by Oliver, Leeson and Wood; 1895 west vestries; 1906 tower, chancel and lady chapel; land given by G.B. Hunter. Rock-faced snecked sandstone with ashlar dressings, plinth and quoins; Welsh slate roof with flat stone gable copings.4-bay aisled nave with west porch and vestries; north-east tower; south transept; apsed chancel and south lady chapel. Early English style. Central west double door; plate-traceried 3-light west aisle windows; triple aisle lancets and stepped triple clerestory lancets; 8-foil west window above 2 similar groups; 5 stepped east lancets. 3-stage tower. 3-light north window in high first stage; lancets above and Y-traceried belfry openings. Corbel table and panelled parapet; shallow set-back buttresses. Nave bellcote. Interior: painted plaster with ashlar dressings. Boarded kingpost roofs. Dog-tooth moulding to round nave arcade piers. Open arches to chancel, lady chapel and tower organ chamber; paired columns to lady chapel; 2 steps to chancel, 2 to sanctuary.and 2 to altar. Glass in north aisle by Baguley, Newcastle; west window in north aisle as South African War Memorial; east window first World War Memorial by Wilhelmina Geddes of Dublin.

Listing NGR: NZ 29947 66308

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 August 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 303417

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 16 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/34527
War Memorials Register, accessed 16 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/34520

End of official listing