ROCKET GARAGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1025344
Date first listed:
19-Feb-1986
Statutory Address:
ROCKET GARAGE, JOHN STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025344.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2020 at 05:24:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
ROCKET GARAGE, JOHN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Tyneside (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
NZ3631271288

Details

TYNEMOUTH JOHN STREET (west side) NZ 37 SE Cullercoats 5/97 Rocket garage G.V. II Life brigade apparatus house, now garage. Dated 1867 above door. For Cullercoats Life Brigade. Painted snecked stone with ashlar dressings and quoins; graduated slate roof with one tall end brick chimney. One storey, one x 3 bays. Gable end to street. Double boarded door in elliptical-headed keyed arch and alternate-block jambs. Inscribed stone scroll above: LIFE BRIGADE HOUSE/1867. Small chamfered pointed-arched niche above. Right return has 2 windows and one blind bay. Bargeboards with finials. Historical note: this was the second Life Brigade in the country, formed immediately after that at Tynemouth of 1864. These brigades pioneered the technique of saving shipwreck victims by rocket-firing lifelines to wrecked vessels.

Listing NGR: NZ3631271288

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
303342
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00861/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs J.H. Black. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].