This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BEACON HOUSE TRINITY BUILDINGS NUMBER 1

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BEACON HOUSE TRINITY BUILDINGS NUMBER 1

List entry Number: 1025356

Location

BEACON HOUSE, TYNE STREET
TRINITY BUILDINGS NUMBER 1, 1, TYNE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: North Tyneside

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Feb-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 303374

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TYNEMOUTH TYNE STREET (north side) NZ 3668 SW North Shields. 15/126 Trinity Buildings No. 1 (Beacon House) G.V. II Lighthouse, later almshouses, now house. 1727 for Trinity House, Newcastle upon Tyne. Painted render and brick; Welsh slate roof and lead roof to lead-covered lantern. 4 storeys, one bay square, with later porch; later 2-storey l-bay left extension. Door in later extension. C20 glazing to windows on each floor and in extension. Third floor band. Ball finial on ogee-hipped roof of lantern. Eroded plaque between first and second floors commemorates conversion to almshouses after building of new high light in 1807. Historical note: in 1536 Henry VIII empowered Trinity House, Newcastle upon Tyne, to build 2 lighthouses at Shields. By 1807 changes in the river bed made a new lighthouse necessary to mark the safe approach. Listed mainly for historical interest.

Listing NGR: NZ3611668451

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 36116 68451

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025356 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2017 at 11:18:35.

End of official listing