Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF HOLY SAVIOUR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025369.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 10:28:58.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Tyneside (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 36473 69612


TYNEMOUTH CROSS WAY (east side) NZ 36 NE Tynemouth 8/52 Church of Holy Saviour 24.10.50 G.V. II Parish church. 1839 to 41 by John and Benjamin Green for Duke of Northumberland; chancel 1884; C20 west porch. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar plinth, dressings and buttresses; snecked sandstone vestry; ashlar west porch. Welsh slate roof has stone gable coping. West tower; nave with transepts; chancel with north vestry and porch, south organ chamber now Lady chapel. Perpendicular style. Truncated tower has one-storey porch under 3-light window; slit windows in upper stages under 2-centred-arched belfry openings; tall buttresses with offsets; battlemented parapet. 4-bay nave has 2-light windows, eaves string and coped parapet; 3-light transept windows; lancets to chancel; 4-light cusped east window has drip mould with foliage stops. Diagonal buttresses to nave, transepts and chancel. Moulded kneelers; cross finial to chancel. Interior: plastered above moulded painted plaster dado; chamfered arches to transepts, chancel and Lady chapel. Gothic-traceried hammer-beam nave roof; low-pitched king-post roof to chancel. Stencilled decoration on nave frieze. Panelled reredos and chancel fittings by W. S. Hicks. Glass by Powell Bros. of Leeds in south nave; Powell, Whitefriars, London, in north transept; by T.F. Curtis of Ward and Hughes, London, in north nave; by Ward and Hughes in south chancel; by H.A. Payne in south chancel; by Wailes (and Strang) in north nave; by L.C. Evetts in south transept. Good quality anonymous glass in east windows of transept.

Listing NGR: NZ3647369612


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01033/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs J.H. Black. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].