CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1025393

Date first listed: 27-Feb-1950

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, STATION ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025393 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 13:14:28.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, STATION ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: North Tyneside (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: NZ 27679 69131

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LONGBENTON STATION ROAD NZ 26 NE 6/12 Church of St. Bartholomew 27.2.50 G.V. II Parish church. 1790 rebuilding of medieval church; 1842 repairs; 1873-5 repairs and additions. Sandstone ashlar with plinth; Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings; stone spire. Perpendicular style. West tower; 4-bay nave, north porch, south aisle and porch; 3-bay chancel with south aisles, north vestry. 2-stage tower has 2-light west window under 2-centred-arched belfry opening; diagonal buttresses; corner pinnacles to battlements; octagonal spire with weather-vane. South porch has deeply-recessed 2-centred-arched door under ogee drip mould. South aisle windows of 2 and 3 lights; parapets, the porch battlemented. Chancel, south aisle in similar style with 2 lancets. East window of 3 stepped lancets under head-stopped dripmould. 2-bay north vestry has elliptical-headed door. Interior: plaster with ashlar dressings; corbelled elliptical-arched braces to collar-beam roof trusses with upper king posts. 2 small cross-incised grave slabs set above aumbry and piscina. Grave slabs attached to east nave wall commemorate John Fenwick died 1581, John Killingworth and members of his family died 1587-1720; and to tower wall Edward Hindmarsh died 1708, Ralph Anderson died 1687. 1857 stone font. First World War bronze memorial slab on stone mount on west wall. Non-pictorial glass by L.C. Evetts; Cl9 glass from east window resited in south organ chamber. Sources: (Besley) Desultory Notices of the Church and Vicarage of Long Benton, Newcastle 1843; M. Hope Dodds Northumberland County History vol. XIII 1930, pp 397-400.

Listing NGR: NZ2767969131

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 303256

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Desultory Notices of the Church and Vicarage of Long Benton Newcastle, (1843)
Dodds Hope, M, 'A History of Northumberland' in The Parishes of Heddon on the Wall Newburn Long Benton Wallsend Chapelries Gosforth Cramlington Townships Benwell Elswick Heaton Byker Fenham Jesmond, , Vol. 13, (1930), 397-400

End of official listing