This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST AIDAN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST AIDAN

List entry Number: 1025420

Location

CHURCH OF ST AIDAN, ST AIDAN'S ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Sunderland

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-Jul-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 303220

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ35SW HOUGHTON-LE-SPRING ST. AIDAN'S ROAD (South side) 4/64 New Herrington.

Church of St. Aidan

II

Parish church, 1885-6 by H. Morton of South Shields. Snecked sandstone with ashlar dressings; graduated Scottish slate roof. Nave, north and south aisles, north porch; chancel with north and south porches. Early English style. North front: chancel porch has semi-circular drip-mould over large 6-foil window in chamfered stone surround above paired lancets; aisle a straight-headed door, one lancet and 3 paired lancets; north porch pointed arch to door has 4 chamfers and drip mould; clerestory. 3 stepped lancets to each bay under drip string. Cross and vane finials. Interior: brick with sandstone ashlar dressings: 5-day double-chamfered nave arcades; chancel has double piscina, chamfered vestry door, mosaic and terrazzo floor. Marble inlay to font and pulpit. Light shades on nave arcades were for original electric lighting supplied by the nearby colliery. Source: Sunderland Echo 20th July 1885 p.2.

Listing NGR: NZ3421352860

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Sunderland Echo' in 20 July, (1885), 2

National Grid Reference: NZ 34213 52860

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025420 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2017 at 03:03:12.

End of official listing