TOMB OF NICHOLAS WOOD, 32 METRES TO SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1025438
Date first listed:
15-Jul-1985
Statutory Address:
TOMB OF NICHOLAS WOOD, 32 METRES TO SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, FRONT STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOMB OF NICHOLAS WOOD, 32 METRES TO SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025438 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 02:32:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
TOMB OF NICHOLAS WOOD, 32 METRES TO SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, FRONT STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Sunderland (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Hetton
National Grid Reference:
NZ 35343 47331

Details

NZ 34NE HETTON FRONT STREET (east side) Hetton-le-Hole

8/6 Tomb of Nicholas Wood, 32 metres to south of Church of St. Nicholas.

G.V. II

Tomb, c.1855. Sandstone, Gothic style altar tomb. 3 cusped-arched panels by one, flanked by coped buttresses supporting frieze, with simple flower decoration, and cornice. Inscriptions 'SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF MARIA FOSTER, WIFE OF NICHOLAS WOOD ESQ. OF HETTON-LE-HOLE WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE JANUARY 24, 1855 AGED 56 YEARS' 'ALSO OF THE ABOVE NICHOLAS WOOD F.R.S. WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE DECEMBER 1865 AGED 70 YEARS'. Historical note : Nicholas Wood was engineer to the Hetton Coal Company, at whose Minor Pit in 1820 was sunk the first shaft to reach the coal beneath the limestone of Durham. With George Stephenson he designed the Hetton railway, opened in 1822, to transport the coal to the Wear; in 1825 his A Practical Treatise on Rail-Roads and Interior Communications in General was published.

Listing NGR: NZ3534347331

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
303162
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01252/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr T W Henderson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].