KEPIER GRAMMAR SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1025443

Date first listed: 26-Apr-1950

Statutory Address: KEPIER GRAMMAR SCHOOL, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of KEPIER GRAMMAR SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025443 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 04:30:25.

Location

Statutory Address: KEPIER GRAMMAR SCHOOL, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Sunderland (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: NZ 34247 49885

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ34NW 7/21 26.4.50

HOUGHTON-LE-SPRING CHURCH STREET (north side) Houghton-le-Spring Kepier Grammar School

GII* Grammar School, now parish rooms and two flats.C18 incorporating C16 building. Limestone and sandstone rubble with some quoins; roof concrete tiles. L-shaped.Two storeys,eleven bays and three bays set back in right return.West elevation:two sashes with glazing bars; then five bays having central projecting gable to street flanked by modern sashes at ground floor and casements at first to the left, one modern sash and one horizontal sliding sash under casements at right.Gable to street contains four-panelled double door under oblong fanlight in architrave beneath inscription (commemorating founding in 1574) dated 1724, inserted cusped lancet window, with head-stopped drip mould, and two blocked-in square lights, in right return.Quoins to these five bays.Then three bays with a five-panelled door in flat Tuscan doorcase at left and sash windows;and gable to street having one sash and inscription recording repairs and additions in 1779.Roof has two end brick chimneys and three transverse ridge brick chimneys.Historical note:founded by Bernard Gilpin, rector of Houghton and John Heath of Kepyer.

Listing NGR: NZ3424949878

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 303177

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing