This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1025462

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: West Sussex

District: Mid Sussex

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Lindfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Sep-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 303121

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 3426 LINDFIELD HIGH STREET (east side) 6/209 Parish Church of All Saints 10.9.51 GV II* Parish church. Mainly c1300 and C14 restored in C19. Built of Sussex and Ardingly sandstone ashlar with Horsham stone slab roof and the tower having shingled spire with iron weather vane. Comprises nave of 2 bays with 2 bay lower chancel having W&S chapel, south porch with parvise above. WEST TOWER C14 built in 3 stages with trefoiled window to west on bottom stage, lancet to middle stage and oculus to top stage. Offset buttresses. Broached shingled spire with iron weathervane. SOUTH PORCH C14 gabled with parvise above having trefoliated headed window. NAVE C14 restored in C19, has arcades of 2 bays, north and south, with octagonal piers. Nave roof is C19 with square braces. 4 octagonal shaped hatchments. C14 font with cusped ogee panels and elaborate C19 wooden cover and pulley mechanism. C19 octagonal wood pulpit carved with scenes from the Life of Christ, wooden screen and pews. CHANCEL has north and south chapels with typical late Perpendicular thin piers. 4 shafts and 4 hollows moulding and four centred arches. East window much restored but Perpendicular windows to south transept and north chapel. North chapel has marble wall plaque to John Court Esq d. 1794, an obelisk with oval medallions. South chapel has wall plaque to Sarah Board d. 1765, draped urn and coat of arms. (See Pevsner, Buildings of England, E & W Sussex, P.561).

Listing NGR: TQ3488825850

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I, The Buildings of England: Sussex, (1965), 561

National Grid Reference: TQ 34888 25850

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025462 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2017 at 07:54:51.

End of official listing