This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

HOSPITAL FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HOSPITAL FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1025468

Location

HOSPITAL FARMHOUSE, HURSTWOOD LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: West Sussex

District: Mid Sussex

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Haywards Heath

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Apr-1976

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Dec-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 303037

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 32 SW HAYWARDS HEATH HURSTWOOD LANE 4/126 (9/55) Hospital Farmhouse (formerly listed as 6.4.76 St Francis' Hospital) GV II* Office, formerly farmhouse. Mid C16 altered in 1660 (see datestone over door) and with C19 outshot. Tudor red bricks with vitrified headers in English bond with sandstone dressings. Horsham stone slab roof with 2 end brick chimney stacks. T-shaped building of 2 storeys attics and semi basement with C19 outshot added to rear right. Principal elevation to south east has 4:5 windows, mainly 4 light original sandstone mullions but end ones of 1 light only. Ground floor has two 2 light mullions flanking central 4 centred sandstone doorway which has the initials IM and date 1660. Deep sandstone plinth and 2 moulded cornices. Gable ends have sandstone moulded coping and kneelers. Rear elevation also has complete set of stone mullioned windows. Cellar storage under south west part with separate access. Interior contains spine beam with lambs tongue stop. Upstairs not inspected but said to have upper part of a fine Elizabethan staircase (lst floor to attic). Roof thought to have been altered c1660. Included II* for fine C16 brickwork retaining an exceptionally large number of original mullions as well as internal features.

Listing NGR: TQ3398122513

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 33981 22513

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025468 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2017 at 08:01:35.

End of official listing