OCKENDEN MANOR

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1025490

Date first listed: 10-Sep-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Dec-1987

Statutory Address: OCKENDEN MANOR, OCKENDEN LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of OCKENDEN MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025490 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 03:31:35.

Location

Statutory Address: OCKENDEN MANOR, OCKENDEN LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: West Sussex

District: Mid Sussex (District Authority)

Parish: Cuckfield

National Grid Reference: TQ 30265 24656

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 3024 NW CUCKFIELD OCKENDEN LANE 7/75 Ockenden Manor 10.9.51 (formerly listed as 'Ockenden') GV II* Manor house originally, now hotel. A complex structure of 3 builds, late C16, early C17 and 1858. C16 timber-framed building with roughcast infill on sandstone base with south wing of ashlar sandstone dated 1608 and west wing of ashlar sandstone added 1858. Horsham slab roof. L-shaped C16 part of 2 storeys and attics. 5 windows, partly roughcast and partly timber-framed with painted brick infill. 2 small gables and one large central one with moulded bressummers and barge-boards, partly renewed. In front of the large gable is a 2 storey porch with overhanging, first floor with brick infilling to framing and gable with small window in it. Renewed casement windows. 2 large cross-shaped brick chimney stacks. South wing of 1608 is of ashlar sandstone and higher elevation. Gable fronted having kneelers with ball finials. Moulded string-course above each floor. 1 casement window with stone mullions and transoms. 4 centred arched doorway. Massive chimney breast on south wall of this wing built of stone with multiple brick shafts. Roughcast 1858 wing. Interior: through purlin Queen post roof and C17 stairwell with moulded finials to newel post, 3 plank door to bottom with butterfly hinges and winder stair- cases. The restaurant has very elaborate early C17 panelling and 11-panelled door and stone 4-centred fireplace with the letter 'B'. The pilasters, ovolo moulding and plaster ceiling and heraldic windows are Victorian. The Ninian Lounge is panelled throughout and has a 4-centred stone fireplace with elaborate stops. The Bar has a 4-centred fireplace with elaborate stops, panelled mantelpiece with pilasters and 6-panelled door. The Hall has chamfered beams with elaborate stops. The Raymond Room has early C17 panelling, H-hinges, stone fireplace and pilastered wooden mantelpiece. The Elizabeth Room has a 4-centred sandstone fireplace and 6-panelled door with Cock's head hinges. The Master Room is panelled throughout and has 3 doors with Cock's head hinges. 4 centred arched fireplace with elaborate stops. Timothy Room has early C17 panelling. Formerly the seat of the Burrell family. (See VCH, Vol VII p 149).

Listing NGR: TQ3026524656

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 302987

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Saltzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Sussex, (1940), 149

End of official listing