CUCKFIELD CHURCH OF ENGLAND PRIMARY SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1025520

Date first listed: 11-Dec-1987

Statutory Address: CUCKFIELD CHURCH OF ENGLAND PRIMARY SCHOOL, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CUCKFIELD CHURCH OF ENGLAND PRIMARY SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025520 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 10:15:58.

Location

Statutory Address: CUCKFIELD CHURCH OF ENGLAND PRIMARY SCHOOL, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: West Sussex

District: Mid Sussex (District Authority)

Parish: Cuckfield

National Grid Reference: TQ 30356 24519

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 3024 NW CUCKFIELD CHURCH STREET 7/41 Cuckfield C E Primary School GV II Former Grammar School now Primary School. 2 builds, west part Grammar School, founded in 1510 but dating from late C16, east part C19 addition. West part of Ardingly sandstone ashlar and Cuckfield stone with Horsham stone slab roof. 2 storeys and attics, 6 windows. 1 modern dormer. Gable ends have kneelers with carved diamond motifs and stumps of apex pinnacles. 6 casement windows with 3-light stone mullioned and transomed windows. Moulded string-course above ground floor. Chamfered plinth. On the north side is a projecting chimney stack with 2 attached square brick shafts. East part also sandstone with tiled roof. 2 storeys and attics, 4 windows. Gable ended with 4 trefoliated mullioned and transomed windows. Brick moulded string-course. S-shaped iron tie. Serrated patterned ridge tiles and brick tapering chimney stack with tumbling in. Interior of C16 part has stone fireplace on first floor and the bays of the ground floor are divided by moulded ceiling beams with channelled soffits and carved stops. Roof of Queen post type. (See VCH Vol II and Vol VII p 148).

Listing NGR: TQ3035624519

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 302953

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Sussex, (1907)
Saltzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Sussex, (1940), 148

End of official listing