GATEHOUSE TO CUCKFIELD PARK INCLUDING IRON RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1025545

Date first listed: 10-Sep-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Dec-1987

Statutory Address: GATEHOUSE TO CUCKFIELD PARK INCLUDING IRON RAILINGS, BRIGHTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of GATEHOUSE TO CUCKFIELD PARK INCLUDING IRON RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025545 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 14:58:00.

Location

Statutory Address: GATEHOUSE TO CUCKFIELD PARK INCLUDING IRON RAILINGS, BRIGHTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: West Sussex

District: Mid Sussex (District Authority)

Parish: Cuckfield

National Grid Reference: TQ 29814 24398

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 22 SE CUCKFIELD BRIGHTON ROAD 3/7 Gatehouse to Cuckfield 10.9.51 Park including iron railings (formerly listed as 'Gate House to Cuckfield Park) II* Former gatehouse. Later C16 railings early C19. Red brick in English bond with stone dressings. Comprises central 2 storey entrance archway with room above, flanked by four 3 storey octagonal turrets. 4 centred entrance, now with C19 cast iron gate with dog rail. Above is a 3-light stone mullioned window with ogee sections and hood-moulding. Eaves cornice. Turrets have fragments of stone finials. Mainly loop windows but some circular windows. The South West turret has an ogee- chaped leaden cupola with wooden finial and clock face towards house. Wooden winder staircase window (South East turret). The gatehouse is now linked to 2 sections of garden wall (items 3/6 and 3/8) by an early C19 low brick wall with iron spear railings having urn principals and 2 sets of carriage gates. (See Country Life, 15 March 1919, Pevsner Buildings of England p478 and Victoria County History Vol VII p 151).

Listing NGR: TQ2981424398

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 302918

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I, The Buildings of England: Sussex, (1965), 478
Saltzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Sussex, (1940), 151
'Country Life' in 15 March, (1919)

End of official listing