ROCHDALE MUSEUM, THE OLD VICARAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1025899

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 12-Feb-1985

Statutory Address: ROCHDALE MUSEUM, THE OLD VICARAGE, SPARROW HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROCHDALE MUSEUM, THE OLD VICARAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025899 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 16:00:03.

Location

Statutory Address: ROCHDALE MUSEUM, THE OLD VICARAGE, SPARROW HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Rochdale (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 89612 13120

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 8913 SE ROCHDALE SPARROW HILL

11/107 Rochdale Museum, The Old Vicarage. (formerly listed as the Vicarage) 25.1O.1951

G.V. II

Vicarage, now museum. c.1724 and c.1820. Brick with stone basement, stone features, C20 tile and stone slate roofs. Double depth with central staircase plan with later additions to left and right. Two storeys with attic and two basement storeys. 5 bays with 2-bay addition to left and gabled single storey addition to right. Windows are eight- pane sashes with flat gauged brick arches, stone sills and keystones. Square bay window to left addition. Six-panel fielded door, overlight and segmental hood with carved shell and cherub, on enriched console brackets. Wood modillion eaves cornice continues round left addition and over central gable. Stone quoins. Rear facade c.1820, re-used stone mullioned windows and door surround. Projecting stair bay. Good panelling to most rooms. Entrance hall connects with stair by segmental arch with panelled pilasters, keystone and soffit. Original staircase with open string, column-on- vase balusters and deep handrail. Said to be built for Samuel Dunster D.D. (Faculty applied for 1724) who "adopted the plan of his house in Marlborough Street, London," Robertson, Rochdale Social and Economic History, 1889.

Listing NGR: SD8961213120

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 358937

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Robertson, , Rochdale Social and Economic History, (1889)

End of official listing