THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1026026

Date first listed: 18-Jun-1959

Statutory Address: THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST PAUL, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1026026 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 01:38:15.

Location

Statutory Address: THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST PAUL, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: West Sussex

District: Chichester (District Authority)

Parish: Elsted and Treyford

National Park: SOUTH DOWNS

National Grid Reference: SU 81606 19788

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 81 NW ELSTED CHURCH LANE 18/11 The Parish Church of 18.6.59 St Paul II* Parish Church. Cll, C12, C13, 1872, 1951-3. Architect for the 1951-3 rebuilding J E M MacGregor. Rubble and ashlar with tiled roofs. Nave, Chancel and south porch. The nave collapsed in the C19 and was rebuilt in 1951-3. Only the north wall and part of the west wall survive. Saxon herringbone stonework. C13 breast windows in blocked C12 arcade openings. The rebuilt sections of the nave and the porch are in coursed rubble and is a very anonymous range. The Chancel is C13 but the north and east walls were cased in flint in 1872, the south wall, now Roman cemented, is original. All the windows are C13 except for one Perpendicular one. Internally there are two blocked Norman arcade openings punched in the Saxon north wall, these were filled in the C13 when the aisle was removed. C12 Chancel arch. Crown post roof to Chancel.

Listing NGR: SU8160619788

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 301712

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing