EARTHAM HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1026365
Date first listed:
05-Jun-1958
Statutory Address:
EARTHAM HOUSE, EARTHAM LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of EARTHAM HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1026365.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2020 at 14:22:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
EARTHAM HOUSE, EARTHAM LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
West Sussex
District:
Chichester (District Authority)
Parish:
Eartham
National Park:
SOUTH DOWNS
National Grid Reference:
SU 93905 09267

Details

EARTHAM EARTHAM LANE SU 90 NW 14/81 Eartham House 5.6.58 - II

Before 1800 there was a house on this site occupied by the poet William Hayley who laid out gardens round it. In 1800 he sold the house to William Huskisson, MP for Chichester, who enlarged it. This house was entirely rebuilt in 1905 by Sir Edwin Lutyens but the interior contains one room, the drawing-room with the principal bedroom over it, which has simple Regency decorations and good fireplaces. The modern house which faces south is in Lutyens simpler manner. Two storeys and attic. Faced with roughcast. Coved eaves cornice. Tiled roof. Windows with Venetian shutters and glazing bars. The south front has a recessed centre of four windows and four dormers with a projecting conservatory on the ground floor. Beyond this are 2 projecting wings of two windows each with hips over them and then one further recessed window bay on each side. The west front has five windows, the centre one recessed. The north front has eight windows, the three westernmost ones recessed, the remainder having two projections and two windows, one dormer and a hip over each and one recessed window bay between these. Service wing of three windows to the east.

Listing NGR: SU9390709264

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
300805
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Mar 2007
Reference: IOE01/16398/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Easton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].