CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1026778

Date first listed: 05-Jul-1950

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, EAST STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1026778 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 14:43:28.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, EAST STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: West Sussex

District: Chichester (District Authority)

Parish: Chichester

National Grid Reference: SU 86227 04835

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SSU 8604 NW CHICHESTER EAST STREET (North, off) 593/4/96 Church of St Andrew 05.07.50 Ox Market

II*

Church, now Arts Centre. C13, C14 and C15; C19 alterations; restored and converted 1971-6; further addition 1989. Pebble-dash render with stone quoins at east end and ashlar dressings; plain tile roof; bellcote has C20 weatherboard and wood shingles; 1989 addition of rubblestone brought to course with plain tile roofs and glazed gables with wooden mullions. 5-bay nave and chancel in one with north vestry and bellcote with broached spire at west end; paired-gabled addition on north side. West end: large diagonal butresses with tile offsets. Pointed archway with panelled double-door inside. Above it, a 2-light Perpendicular window with hoodmould. Gable oculus. Set in wall on left is probably early-C16 wall monument depicting family and angels. South side: nave has two 2-light windows with hoodmoulds, that on right with C20 door inserted below it; two badly-weathered re-set wall monuments, probably early C16 and C17. Chancel has lancet. East end: restored window of 3 stepped lancets. North side: altered vestry conceals chancel lancet and tudor-arched priest's door and retains cusped 1-light south window with decorative c. 1774 wall monument reset below. Nave has one window of 2 lights with foiled heads and quatrefoil and a 2-light Perpendicualr window with panel tracery and hoodmould. Interior: trefoil-headed stoup. Mid-C18 wall monument with simple classical architrave. Roof has coved cornice and C19 ribbed boarded roof with floral bosses over chancel. Inserted west gallery. A simple C13 church with later-medieval features.





Listing NGR: SU8622604832

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 299870

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing