CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1026828

Date first listed: 05-Jul-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Oct-1971

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST MARY, APPELDRAM LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1026828 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 16:06:25.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST MARY, APPELDRAM LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: West Sussex

District: Chichester (District Authority)

Parish: Fishbourne

National Grid Reference: SU 84235 04465

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

593/16/412 05-JUL-50

CHICHESTER APPELDRAM LANE CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST MARY(Formerly listed as:APPELDRAM LANE NEW FISHBOURNE CHURCH(ST PETER AND ST MARY)

GII Church sited close the manor house and farmland,off the Fishbourne by-pass.C13 origins to the chancel;walling of the E end of the N aisle(N transept designed by G Draper(Pevsner)1821;remainder of aisle walling,roofs and arcades 1847;1973 choir vestry,storeroom,and lavatory block.The chancel is plastered and colourwashed with exposed freestone quoins.The former N transept has a stuccoed N wall and pebbledashed E Wall,the rest of the church is flint with red tiled roofs and stone slate eaves to the S aisle.Weatherboarded bell turret;snecked stone to the 1973 addition.PLAN:Chancel,three-bay N & S aisles(E end of N aisle former transept and partly screened off as a vestry;W end bell turret;large 1973 N extension replacing the N porch.EXTERIOR:The chancel N & S walls have two lancets each.The E lancet on the S side appears to be wholly medieval,the others appear to have been partly rebuilt.Three-light E window with reticulated tracery.The W end features are C19. The nave has low clasping buttresses,a chamfered W doorway,a pair of lancets over and a sexafoil in the gable.The S aisle has two-light 1847 windows with reticulated tracery to the E & W;three trefoil-headed lancets to the S side.The N aisle has a two-light plate traceried W window and a two-light Decorated style E window.Weatherboarded bellcote with pyramidal tiled roof.INTERIOR:Timber chancel arch on moulded stone corbels.The chancel has an uneven plastered vaulted roof.Medieval timbers may survive behind the plaster.The 1847 S arcade has double-chamfered arches on cylindrical piers with capitals carved with stiff-leaf.The N arcade,added afterwards (Blakeney,1),has double-chamfered arches on cylindrical piers with moulded capitals.Canted,plastered nave ceiling,except for an open collar rafter roof in the W bay supporting the bell turret.The W end of the N aisle is also an open,the rest if the aisle plastered.The S aisle has an open arch braced roof,plastered behind the rafters.C20 gabled timber reredos with blind tracery.The E wall of the chancel is panelled on either side with C19 commandments boards over.Polygonal timber pulpit,post 1945 (Blakeney,2)on a timber stem.The pulpit is carved with panels of stiff-leaf foliage.C.1847 font with an octagonal stone bowl with carved decoration on an octagonal stem.The chancel fittings include two elaborately carved C17 benches with shaped ends and dividers carved with ramshorns.Nave benches said to be 1887 (Blakeney,2) are square-headed and curved shoulders.In the S aisle the benches have a different design with concave shoulders.C20 screen at the E end of the N aisle to form vestry.Stained glass included brightly-coloured remains of simple design,probably 1821 and a fragment,probably C17 Flemish.Several C19 brass wall plaques.HISTORICAL NOTE:The church guide includes a copy of an 1804 image,which shows the E window as square-headed.A church with a medieval chancel,possibly with surviving medieval roof,the remainder thoroughly rebuilt in several C19 phases,none outstanding.SOURCES:Pevsner,Sussex, 1965,224 Blakeney,R.,Guide to the Church and Parish of St Peter and St Mary,New Fishbourne,n.d.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 299796

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Blakeney, R, Guide to the Church and Parish of St Peter abd St Mary, New Fishbourne
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I, The Buildings of England: Sussex, (1965), 224

End of official listing