BAILIFFSCOURT HOTEL AND COUNTRY CLUB

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1027676

Date first listed: 20-Sep-1984

Statutory Address: BAILIFFSCOURT HOTEL AND COUNTRY CLUB, CLIMPING STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BAILIFFSCOURT HOTEL AND COUNTRY CLUB
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1027676 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 12:53:56.

Location

Statutory Address: BAILIFFSCOURT HOTEL AND COUNTRY CLUB, CLIMPING STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: West Sussex

District: Arun (District Authority)

Parish: Climping

National Grid Reference: TQ 00160 00807

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 04/01/2013

TQ 00 SW 16/347

CLIMPING CLIMPING STREET Bailiffscourt Hotel and Country Club

GII* Hotel and country club,formerly large country house.Built between 1931 and 1935 by Amyas Phillips an 'antiquarian' rather than architect for Lord and Lady Moyne.Built in late Medieval Cotswold style entirely out of salvaged materials from old buildings in many different parts of the country.Built of Somerset limestone with Horsham stone slate roof and stone chimneystacks.Quadrangular plan.Entrance front of two storeys with stone round-headed windows to first floor and ground floor double window with trefoliated head.Large buttresses and large external stone stack.Between these two is a two-light oak window rescued from a derelict building near Muchelney Abbey.The entrance archway was once part of Holditch Priory and the C15 oak door to the entrance hall originally belonged to South Wanborough Church.Left side return has double cusped windows to gable and a series of cambered windows and buttresses. Rear elevation is L shaped with two,three & four-light mullioned windows with leaded lights and four external chimneystacks.Arched door-case with four plank door.Right side contains domestic quarters.This is of chequerwork flint and stone with two gables and mullioned windows.Return has three-light mullioned windows and reused round-headed window.Room to right of entrance hall has deeply chamfered ceiling and tall window seat.Large L-shaped Dining Room has very fine roll-moulded ceiling and oak screen.Four centred arched stone fireplace in Dining Room was moved from a building in Hitchin being destroyed by the local authority.Principal bed chamber on first floor has crown post roof with four crownposts,two part of a salvaged roof and two replicas by Amyas Phillips.There are numerous other examples of reused stone four centred archways,C16 and C17 stone fireplaces and screens,though some screens are probably made up from old floorboards.This is the foremost example of the craze in the Inter War period of new houses made from old materials.(See Clive Aslet "The Last Country Homes"p172 -181.B.O.E. Sussex pp97-98).

Listing NGR: TQ0016000807

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 297834

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Aslet, C, The Last Country House, (1982), 172
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I, The Buildings of England: Sussex, (1965), 97-98

End of official listing