This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BUTTERTON GRANGE FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BUTTERTON GRANGE FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1027842

Location

BUTTERTON GRANGE FARMHOUSE, TRENTHAM ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: Newcastle-under-Lyme

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Whitmore

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-May-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 362728

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 84 SW WHITMORE C.P. TRENTHAM ROAD (north side)

6/182 Butterton Grange Farmhouse II*

Farmhouse. 1816 with later alterations. By Sir John Soane, for Sir Thomas Swinnerton of Butterton Hall (q.v. under Park House). Reddish-brown brick with stone dressings, low-pitched slate hipped roof and wide projecting eaves. 3 x 2 bays; elegantly mannered neo- classical villa style. 2 storeys; 3-bay front with central section deeply recessed and flanked by giant canted brick pilasters facing each other; angled and canted pilasters also to corners; windows all 4-paned sashes, those to ground floor round-headed and with fanlights to top; continuous first floor cill band; central round-headed entrance with fanlight like those to ground floor windows, 6-panel double door with 4 upper panels glazed; central ashlar ridge stack with a blind arcade of 5 round-headed arches (central one pierced through and with a small pediment above), an important element of the design. Left- hand return of 2 bays with twin brick pilasters flanking slight central recess. Interior not inspected, but it is known that Soane's designs for this were never carried out. B.O.E., p.92; Howard Colvin, A Biograph- ical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840 (1978), p.770.

Listing NGR: SJ8430842111

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 770
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 92

National Grid Reference: SJ 84308 42111

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1027842 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Feb-2018 at 04:02:52.

End of official listing