ST MARYS GATE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1027928
Date first listed:
26-Mar-1949
Statutory Address:
ST MARYS GATE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1027928.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2021 at 19:18:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
ST MARYS GATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
West Sussex
District:
Arun (District Authority)
Parish:
Arundel
National Park:
SOUTH DOWNS
National Grid Reference:
TQ 01540 07311

Details

TQ 0107 2/1A St Mary's Gate

26.3.49.

II Medieval. Rebuilt in early or mid-C19. (Watercolour of 1780 [Sussex Archaeological Society], and print of 1792, signed "TS" [NMR] show it before rebuilding, the side bays intact, but the arch collapsed). Former town gate (becoming redundant on diversion of London Road: see Town Gate, High Street, or Town Hall, Maltravers Street, qv). Dressed and knapped flint, with Pulborough stone dressings. 3 storeys. Stringcourse at eaves level, and crenellated parapet. 3 bays, central bay flanked by buttresses, which take machicolated 2nd storey. Flanking bays have rectangular windows with roll-moulded surrounds on ground and 1st floors, pointed lancets with roll-moulding surrounds on 2nd floor. Central bay has 1 4-centred arch with chamfered and moulded embrasures through ground and 1st storeys, and 3 slits on 2nd storey.

Listing NGR: TQ0154307312

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
297145
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/06635/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Cyril Selby. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].