WINDMILL LODGE, WITH THE GATEWAY ADJOINING IN THE GROUNDS OF ERIDGE CASTLE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1028334

Date first listed: 31-Dec-1982

Statutory Address: WINDMILL LODGE, WITH THE GATEWAY ADJOINING IN THE GROUNDS OF ERIDGE CASTLE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WINDMILL LODGE, WITH THE GATEWAY ADJOINING IN THE GROUNDS OF ERIDGE CASTLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1028334 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 21:19:58.

Location

Statutory Address: WINDMILL LODGE, WITH THE GATEWAY ADJOINING IN THE GROUNDS OF ERIDGE CASTLE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: East Sussex

District: Wealden (District Authority)

Parish: Frant

National Grid Reference: TQ 56452 36340

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FRANT ERIDGE ROAD 1. 5208 Windmill Lodge, with the Gateway adjoining in grounds of Eridge Castle TQ 53 NE 7/334 II 2. The early C19 Eridge Castle was demolished and rebuilt in 1938-9 (Architect John L Denman). But some of the Lodges of that period remain. Their architect was probably John Montier of Tunbridge Wells. Circa 1825. L-shaped building. Two storeys. Two windows. Ground floor stone, above imitation timbering with elaborate decorative plasterwork. Tiled roof. Gable end to each wing with elaborate carved bargeboards. Casement windows. Castellated porch in the angle of the L. Adjoining to the north-west is a pair of rectangular rusticated stone gate-piers, placed diagonally, with caps consisting of bull's heads of the Abergavenny arms rising from coronets. These gate-piers flank the carriage drive. Similar smaller gate-piers with ball caps flank the pedestrian entrances on each side of the carriage drive. The gate-piers are probably later in date than the Lodge.

Listing NGR: TQ5645236340

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 296180

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 14 East Sussex,

End of official listing