SHEFFIELD PARK HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1028395

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1953

Statutory Address: SHEFFIELD PARK HOUSE, SHEFFIELD PARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of SHEFFIELD PARK HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1028395 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 11:52:17.

Location

Statutory Address: SHEFFIELD PARK HOUSE, SHEFFIELD PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: East Sussex

District: Wealden (District Authority)

Parish: Fletching

National Grid Reference: TQ 41355 24138

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FLETCHING SHEFFIELD PARK 1. 5208 Sheffield Park House TQ 42 SW 25/784 26.11.53 1 2. The house contains a few rooms with early C18 panelling. But the main portion dates from about 1779 and was built by the first Lord Sheffield. Architect James Wyatt. The house was Wyatt's earliest Gothic house but the entrance front is a symmetrical classical conception. Two storeys. Seven windows. Ashlar. Cornice and battlemented parapet. The outer window bays are flanked by pilasters, between which the cornice is carried up to form a pointed arch with a stepped gable above containing an attic window and surmounted by 3 pinnacled finials. Sash windows with dripstones over and glazing bars intact. Central porch added in 1912. Service wing added to the west in 1912. The east front has a large pointed Gothic window, of which part only could originally be seen internally. Of the interior, the hall and staircase are Gothic, the remainder classical. The Prince's room upstairs is decorated with paintings of animals by Charles Cotton the elder, RA.

Listing NGR: TQ4135524138

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 296022

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 14 East Sussex,

End of official listing