This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE DIAL HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE DIAL HOUSE

List entry Number: 1028496

Location

THE DIAL HOUSE, 82, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: East Sussex

District: Wealden

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Westham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 295769

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WESTHAM HIGH STREET 1. 5208 (south side) No 82 TQ 6404 38/242 (The Dial House) 13.10.52

II* GV

2. Good example of a restored C15 timber-framed house, the first floor above a moulded bressummer close-studded with curved braces arranged in pairs ornamentally and with cement infilling, the ground floor underbuilt and refaced with cement. Hipped tiled roof. Modern casement windows except one original oriel windows on the first floor consisting of 2 tiers of 5 lights with wooden mullions and transom, old green glass and cove beneath. Two storeys, 3 windows. The front has a stone in it with the date 1662 and the initials H.W.M, on it. This was found elsewhere in the mid C19 by the then owner of the house the Reverend Richard King, Curate of Pevensey, and incorporated in this building. The east wall is tile-hung, the west wall of red brick and grey headers in alternate courses. To the west of the house are 3 gate-piers of red brick and flints surmounted by lions sejant holding shields.

Listing NGR: TQ6408204581

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 64085 04584

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1028496 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 08:19:22.

End of official listing