Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1028622

Date first listed: 07-Sep-1951

Statutory Address: SWEECH HOUSE, 2 4 AND 6, GRAVEL HILL


Ordnance survey map of SWEECH HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1028622 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 03:32:16.


Statutory Address: SWEECH HOUSE, 2 4 AND 6, GRAVEL HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Mole Valley (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TQ 16523 56519


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


LEATHERHEAD GRAVEL HILL TQ 1656 NE (east side) 10/135

7.9.51 Nos. 2, 4, and 6 (Sweech House)


Farmhouse, now offices. Probably late C15, enlarged in C16, altered in C17, subdivided into 3 cottages in earlier C19; restored 1950. Timber frame with brick nogging and cladding, some flint and some tile-hanging; red tile roof. Two-bay hall range on north-south axis, with a 2½-bay wing at the south end and a 2-bay wing at the north end (probably added at different dates: see History below). One-and-a-half and 2 storeys. The 1½-storey hall now has a doorway to the 2nd bay, a modern crosswindow to the right and modern 6-fight transomed window to the left, and a hipped dormer in each bay; visible timber framing consisting of a wallpost to the left of the door, mid-rail to the right of this, and wallplate over both bays; and to the left of the wallpost a patch of flint masonry which is the side of an inserted inglenook, from which a chimney rises through the slope of the roof. The gable of the left wing, which is flush, has corner posts, a straight tie-beam, and a king-post roof truss with 3 queen struts; two 2-fight casements at ground floor and a 5-fight casement above; and a side-wall chimney. The right-hand wing projects, has a modern bow window at ground floor, a 2-fight casement at 1st floor, a tile-hung gable, and a ridge chimney between the 1st and 2nd bays; the 2½-bay return wall has a plinth and exposed timber framing including sill, 2 wallposts with down-braces to a mid-rail, studs and intermediate rails, and the wallplate; a patch of flint masonry in the 1st bay (the side of another inglenook) and a casement above; coupled cross-windows in the centre bay and another above, and an inserted doorway in the rear bay. At the rear all parts have exposed full timber framing (except the 2nd bay of the hall, which is covered by an added outshut, and the gable of the south wing which is tile- hung), but the framing of the wings differs: that in the south wing is of heavier scantling and includes 2 large down-braces (and the peg-holes of another in the re-entrant side) and a small square stairwindow framed into the angle of the rail and the right-hand post; in addition, the 1st bay of the hall has a doorway and a 2-light casement, the wings have some similar casements on both floors, and the hall has 2 dormers like those at the front. Interior: the south end wall of the hall-range has a massive concave up-brace from the rear post, the north end wall has evidence of similar bracing (2 vacant mortices in the soffit of the tie- beam and a blocked mortice in the rear post), and this tie-beam carries 2 large raked struts; the lateral beam between the bays has floor-joists of the south bay tenoned into it but those of the north bay laid on top of it (suggesting that this bay was formerly open), and the soffit is grooved for a former plank partition, with a slot at the rear end for a former door lintel; a chimney stack inserted at the junction of the bays, the inglenook opening to the north bay (with a chamfered bressummer and unusual painted overmantel) and the rear backing into the south bay (and painted in imitation of brick); the south wing has a similar inserted chimney stack obtruding into the 1st bay, with inglenook towards the 2nd bay. History: an alternative interpretation of the development of this building suggests that the south wing was the first phase and the hall the last; see LDLHS History (1988) p.301, and J.H.Harvey "Sweech House" Proc.LDLHS 3, (1971).

Listing NGR: TQ1652356519


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 290532

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
'Proceedings of the Leatherhead and District Local History Society' in Leatherhead and District Local History Society, (1988), 301
'Proceedings of the Leatherhead and District Local History Society' in Proceedings of the Leatherhead and District Local History Society, (1971)

End of official listing