LEATHERHEAD BRIDGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1028646

Date first listed: 07-Sep-1951

Statutory Address: LEATHERHEAD BRIDGE, BRIDGE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of LEATHERHEAD BRIDGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1028646 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 17:49:18.

Location

Statutory Address: LEATHERHEAD BRIDGE, BRIDGE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Mole Valley (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TQ 16313 56299

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEATHERHEAD BRIDGE STREET TQ 1656 SW 11/106 7.9.51 Leatherhead Bridge GV II

Public road bridge over River Mole. Probably later medieval, rebuilt and enlarged in 1782-3 by George Gwilt (the county surveyor), and dated 1784 on south side. Red brick in Flemish bond, with some dressings of Portland stone. It is a long low structure of 14 segmental arches on low piers with triangular cutwaters which have semi-pyramidal tops of dressed stone, a roundel in each spandrel, a moulded stone band, and a high brick parapet to the south side with flat stone coping secured by wrought-iron cramps, incorporating 4 semicircular refuges; and in the centre of the outer side a stone plaque lettered "BUILT 1784". Lighting now replaced with reproduction windsor lighting. Parapets rebuilt in 1988.

Listing NGR: TQ1631356299

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 290498

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing