This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1028655



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Mole Valley

District Type: District Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-Sep-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 290420

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


ASHTEAD RECTORY CLOSE TQ 1857-1957 8/36 7.9.51 The Old Rectory


Rectory, now house and flats. 1777, extended and altered; and partitioned c.1930. Roughcast (probably on brick); slate roof. Irregular rectangular plan on north- south axis. Mostly 3 storeys: west front composed of set-back 2-bay centre, mostly altered, with 2 doorways at ground floor under a canopy; a 2-bay north wing with tall 2-light casements at ground floor, 12-pane sashes at 1st floor, and 6-pane sashes at 2nd floor; and a bowed 3-bay south wing of 2 storeys to the same height with tall 8-pane sashes at ground floor and 12-pane sashes above; with a modillioned cornice carried round the whole, a hipped roof with 2 dormers in the north wing, and various chimneys. Right-hand return wall of south wing has 2 extruded chimney stacks. Rear: 2-storey 3-bay centre, a short linking bay to the left, bows to both wings; in the link, an inserted doorway, a round- headed stairwindow and an oculus above; various French windows and 12, 6, and 4-pane sashes, including a 12-pane sashed semi-dormer breaking the eaves of the north wing. Interior: the house which occupies the south end contains an open- well staircase with open string, scrolled brackets, columnar newels, stick balusters and wreathed curtail; various moulded plaster cornices. Reference: Proc.LDLHS VoL5, No.1, 1987.

Listing NGR: TQ1868757820

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Proceedings of the Leatherhead and District Local History Society' in The Leatherhead and District Local History Society, , Vol. 5, (1987)

National Grid Reference: TQ 18687 57820


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1028655 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2017 at 03:54:24.

End of official listing