This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1028681



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Mole Valley

District Type: District Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-Apr-1970

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 290387

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


ASHTEAD AGATES LANE TQ/15/NE (east side) 3/5

2.4.70 Merry Hall


House. Probably later C18 (chimney at rear inscribed 1788); altered and enlarged. Red brick in Flemish bond, slate roof. Rectangular double-depth plan with addition at left end and rear wing to this. The principal element is 2 storeys and 4 bays, with basement and attic: the high basement, treated as a chamfered plinth, has a 2-light casement window in the 4th bay; the ground floor has a doorway (up 6 steps protected by stick-baluster railings) offset left of centre, with a wooden open-pedimented doorcase composed of fluted Tuscan pilasters with triglyph entablatures, and 8-panel door (top panels now glazed) under a semi-elliptical fanlight with keyed surround (glazing altered); both floors have four 12-pane unhorned sashed windows with exposed boxes and gauged brick heads, but those at 1st floor are irregularly disposed, with one over the door and one placed centrally to the left. Bracketed wooden eaves cornice. Hipped roof with 2 flat-roofed dormers which have 6-pane horned sashes. Side-wall chimney to the right. Attached at the left end is a late C19 2-bay addition which has tripartite sashes on both floors, a matching cornice, and hipped roof with 2 chimneys on the front slope. The right-hand return wall has one window on each floor to the rear, matching those at the front. The rear has inter alia 2 extruded chimney stacks (that on the left with "1788" inscribed on a brick above eaves level), a sashed stairwindow, and 2 dormers in the roof; and a small conservatory and single-storey outbuilding are attached to the rear wing. Interior: altered, but contains open-well staircase with stick balusters, and cellar with wine bins.

Listing NGR: TQ1774158044

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 17741 58044


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1028681 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 08:01:00.

End of official listing