Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of BROOME HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1028759 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 01:48:54.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Mole Valley (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 15055 42535


CAPEL C.P. BROOME HALL ROAD TQ 14SE Coldharbour 8/64 Nos. 1 - 5 Broome Hall GV II

Country house, now divided. Circa 1830 for Mr Andrew Spottiswoode, extended in late C19 for Sir Alexander Hargreaves Brown. Sandstone hlocks with ashlar copings and dressings, slate roofs and stone stacks. Roughly rectangular plan. Entrance front:- L-shaped with front drive. Two storeys and attics, double wings projecting to right, shallow gabled break to left. 4 stacks to the right end and centre triple stack to left of centre. Two large gabled dormers with two-light sashes to each under label mouldings, angle-bay below left hand dormer, angle-bay oriel window under that to right; two, 2-light first floor windows alternating. Three mullioned and transomed windows on the ground floor. Gabled break to left:- with attic window, oriel window on the first floor and "cross" window below. Arched, square-panel double doors to left of centre in vaulted portico with quatrefoil panels in parapet above with central coat of arms. Moulded, chamfered, surround to 4-centre, arched entrance. Double gable wings to right with octagonal and diagonal stacks, leaded casement fenestration. One attic, one first floor and one ground floor window in each gable end. Single storey conservatory range set back to left with battlemented parapet, partly obscuring coved, glazed roof with wrought iron railings of trefoil and foliage pattern. Garden Front:- Older range to left. Two storeys with attics in gabled stone dormers with corbelled eaves and diagonal spike finials to apexes. Multiple octagonal, cross-ridge stacks. Two gabled dormers alternating with smaller, flat-roofed dormers. 5 casement windows to first floor under label mouldings, including ashlared angle bay to right with blind tracery panels below lights. Perpendicular style Gothic 'cloister' across the ground floor with blind traceried, octagonal finials to offset buttresses which alternate with 4- centre, arched openings with moulded and chamfered surrounds. Right hand bay glazed in. Three storey link to extensions with chamfered angle. Three-gabled dormers to right, outer two-storey angle bays below with stone-dressed, mullioned and transomed window separated by blind-tracery arcades between floors. Oriel window to first floor right, one window on each floor to left of centre. Battlemented range (rear of conservatory) to right end.

W. T. PIKE (Ed.): SURREY AT THE OPENING OF THE TWENTIETH CENTURY (1906) p.101. V.C.H. (1967 Edn) Vol. III p.136.

Listing NGR: TQ1505542535


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Malden, H E , The Victoria History of the County of Surrey, (1902)
Pike, W T, Surrey at the opening of the Twentieth Century, (1906), 101


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/12471/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Peter Karry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected]