CHRIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1028762

Date first listed: 29-Sep-1987

Statutory Address: CHRIST CHURCH, BROOME HALL ROAD, COLDHARBOUR, DORKING

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHRIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1028762 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 01:50:16.

Location

Statutory Address: CHRIST CHURCH, BROOME HALL ROAD, COLDHARBOUR, DORKING

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Mole Valley (District Authority)

Parish: Capel

National Grid Reference: TQ 14895 43668

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 14SW 7/67

CAPEL C.P. COLDHARBOUR BROOME HALL ROAD Christ Church

II Church. 1848 by B. Ferrey, restored by W. Caröe in 1904. C13 style. Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings and plain tiled roofs, restored in C20.

Nave with gabled porch to south, bellcote to west end, chancel to east and vestry to north. Bellcote to west; two arched openings under gabled top with flanking stone offsets. Three two-light and trefoil roundel tracery windows under hood mouldings to south side, alternating with buttresses, four windows on north. One similar window and one trefoil head lancet on south side of chancel, square gabled projection to north with angle buttresses and gable roundel. East window of three, ogee, lights and five-petal roundel over with mouchettes. Plate tracery roundel to west with two-light and quatrefoil window below, between double flanking buttresses, the inner ones offset and linked by stringcourse, the outer ones diagonal. Large scale gabled timber porch to south with scalloped and pierced bargeboards. Steeply cambered tie-beam over entrance flanked by leaded, ogee-arched lancets, panelled and glazed side windows. Chamfered, arched stone door surround. Priest's door in south side of chancel.

Interior: Simple, with large moulded and chamfered chancel arch. Standard C19 fittings. The church forms an important feature in a remote unspoilt village.

Listing NGR: TQ1489543668

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 290178

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 165

End of official listing