LEITH HILL TOWER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1028808
Date first listed:
11-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
LEITH HILL TOWER

Map

Ordnance survey map of LEITH HILL TOWER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1028808 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 22:20:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
LEITH HILL TOWER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Mole Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
Wotton
National Grid Reference:
TQ 13948 43162

Details

WOTTON C.P. LEITH HILL TQ 14SW

6/124 Leith Hill Tower 11/11/66 II

Folly Tower. Built as a landmark in 1764 or 65 by Richard Hulls of Leith Hill Place, although dated on fabric, 1766, after faulty restoration of inscription. Tower restored and heightened by William Philip Perrin of Tanhurst. Further restored and battlements and stair turret added in 1864 by William John Evelyn of Wotton House. Bargate stone rubble with brick dressings and mouldings. Square plan. Battering Tower with roll moulding, four stages above separated by brick plat bands, upper stage with stone string course and brick angle quoins. Corbelled and battlemented parapet to top stage. Octagonal stair turret at north west corner of four stages, offset, and with battlemented top. Rectangular lancet fenestration with door in south face. West face of tower has arch on impost blocks to lowest stage, roundel above. Two light and roundel plate tracery window in panel to top stage in each face. Richard Hulls was buried below the lower room of the original two room tower in 1772. The tower stands on the highest point in the County of Surrey and reputedly it is possible to see 13 Counties from its battlements.

Listing NGR: TQ1394843162

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
290087
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Jun 2006
Reference: IOE01/14658/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Peter Karry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].