Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1028820

Date first listed: 11-Mar-1987



Ordnance survey map of BELMONT SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1028820 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2019 at 05:25:03.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Mole Valley (District Authority)

Parish: Abinger

National Grid Reference: TQ 11491 44520


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



6/55 Belmont School


Former Country House, now school. 1879-1880 by G. Redmayne to plans of Alfred Waterhouse for Price Waterhouse, extended in 1881-2, 1887 and 1889. Bargate stone rubble with hot orange brick dressings, tile hung to first floor right. Paler stone rubble to left with ashlar dressings, red brick dressings in later wing. Plain tiled roofs under ridge cresting. L-shaped plan with projecting wing to left and courtyard to front. Two storeys and attics over basement. Panelled brick ridge stacks to left of centre and to centre on left hand wing, diagonal stacks to right of main gable. Three gabled dormers to main range with heavy bargeboards and casement windows under patterned top-lights. One first floor window under tile pentice to right, three segmental-head, 3-light, wood-framed stained glass windows to ground floor right alternating with buttresses on sill course and raised up, in splayed surrounds. Range to left of centre set back with 3 first floor and two ground floor windows under cambered heads, string course over ground floor. Gabled bay in angle of two wings with coved half-timber gable over. One window on each floor below, 3-light casement in gable. Newer range to left with central gabled entrance bay. One window on each floor and door under pentice hood porch. Square brick bay across angle to end with gallery to first floor connecting the two. Large entrance gable on main house with square, stained-glass, wood-framed, splay-sided oriel window with very decorative glazing. Ribbed brick corbel with moulded courses below. Ten trefoil-head upper lights and single window in supporting pillar. Triple foliate- grilled openings to basement. Segmental head entrance to right in gable with moulded, splay-sided edges and hood mould over. Triple panel above containing bas-reliefs by Professor Joseph Kopf of the three daughters - Theresa, Ellen and Valentine - representing Faith, Hope and Charity. Tiled floor to porch recess with panelled surround to main door. Fine Celtic style scrolled hinges and arched panels to sides. Right hand return front:- Timber framed full height bay over basement with decorative framing and dated stack - "1889 E.W.". Rear:- Gable to left with square bay below. Further gables to centre and right. Pentice roofed verandah across ground floor with braced posts. Interior:- Dining Room - (former Library) coved fireplace with foliage and dog- tooth pattern panelling over lintel. Pierced floral patterns below and crocketed niches to ends. Inscription carved over fireplace half in Dutch half in Latin. Flanking scrolls and panelled Inglenooks with bench seating,either side of chimney breast covered with original William Morris wallpaper of paired bird and flower pattern. Sunflower band to top of fireplace. Original high-gloss peacock tiles on grate. Panelled ceilings with cornices and some panelled bookcases with C-scroll hinges. Living/Study Room - Panelled ceiling with large floral plaster frieze. Main Hall - Full height with 3-bay double gallery to end on braced and moulded posts; wider centre bay, narrower flanking bays. Angel corbels to Queen- post roof, and splat balusters to main staircase balustrade. 5 artificial stone panels on one wall with representations of music. Entrance doors to end down 5 marble steps. Fireplace on side wall with coved top,flanking benches and mirrored overmantle. Billeted dado panels and cinquefoil hood,. Tiled fireplaces survive on first floor in an unusually complete interior.

Listing NGR: TQ1149144520


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 290025

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing