ABINGER MANOR

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1028827
Date first listed:
11-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
ABINGER MANOR, SUTTON LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ABINGER MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1028827 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 06:55:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
ABINGER MANOR, SUTTON LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Mole Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
Abinger
National Grid Reference:
TQ 11388 45940

Details

ABINGER C.P. SUTTON LANE TQ 14NW Abinger Common

4/72 Abinger Manor 11/11/66 II

House. Originally built in 1688 by John Evelyn, rebuilt in 1872/3,using some old materials,by Alfred Waterhouse. Red brown brick with blue-header diapering to left, plain tiled roofs. Some tile hanging to first floor left. L-shaped plan with shaped gable to projecting wing on left. Two stacks on left hand return front with diapered plinths, ribbed shafts and part-rendered, corbelled tops. Further stacks to rear right and right hand return front of square almost detached extension. Two storeys with Dutch gable to left under plat band edging. Plat band over ground floor rising up over relieving arch of ground floor window. Terracotta plaque in gable with brick "E" over. One 6-light mullioned and tran- somed leaded window to first floor under drip hood. One 10-light mullioned and transomed leaded window on ground floor with drip board. Three-light gabled dormer to centre of house, one 4-light mullioned and transomed window below, under segmental hood, below moulded brick eaves. Similar window to right. Two storey entrance porch to right of centre with shaped gable over. One 3-light leaded window on first floor, plinth moulding and round-arched entrance below. Single storey,half-hipped roof,to set back range to right linking to square addition under hipped roof and crowning louvred lantern with one window in each face. Rear - angle bay to right, roof sloping down to centre left, with two hipped roof dormers above. House is set in moated site and the bay tree in the garden was reputedly planted by John Evelyn.

Listing NGR: TQ1138845940

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
290042
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].