CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1028844
Date first listed:
11-Nov-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Nov-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1028844 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jul-2019 at 10:13:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Mole Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
Abinger
National Grid Reference:
TQ 12787 38036

Details

ABINGER C.P. CHURCH LANE TQ 13NW Oakwood Hill

8/12 Church of St. John 11/11/66 The Baptist

II*

Church, originally chapel of ease to Wotton. Circa 1220,doubled in size by Basil Champneys in 1879. Hard chalk and firestone rubble with mortar rendering, Horsham slab roofs and weatherboarded wood - shingled bellcote to west end. Timber framed porches to north and west. Original Church rectangular, single room, now with parallel north aisle and vestry, bellcote to west and porches to north and west. Sloping C18 buttresses to east and west ends. 3-light trefoil head window to west end, C19 west window to north aisle in deep coved surround with 3 quatrefoil lights between Perpendicular tracery above and below. C13 lancet fenestration on south side of church, three windows,two of which are round arched, one pointed. Two lancets to chancel, east of vestry. C15 three foiled light window to east, between buttresses, under label moulding. C19 ogee- tracery window to east end of north aisle. Old lancets re-used in new north side, four windows alternating with buttresses. Gabled porch to west on north aisle with.billeted cambered tie beam and gable crucifix. Arched traceried-iron outer gates, wooden north door. Shallow gabled porch to west end with wavy edged barge- boards. Door circa 1480 (V.C.H.) in 4-centred,moulded surround. Interior:- 5 bay crown-post roof with square panelled ceiling and moulded wall plate. Keel shaped stringcourse to chancel, which is floored in yellow and white stone "sets". Three bay north aisle arcade on two octagonal pillars with half round pier responds and chamfered arches. Two bay north chancel arcade with attached half-round columns to centre pier. Wooden screen between piers to north side of chancel and east end of north aisle. Triangular internal hoods to lancets. St Andrews cross bracing on exposed bellcage to west. Fittings:- fine piscina with credence shelf over on south chancel wall under trefoiled head and with two drains dished in square form, bordered by bold bowtel moulding between two hollows. C19 gallery to west end. Panelled hexagonal pulpit with sounding board above. C19 black marble font on thick spiral fluted round stem, egg and dart type moulding to tub. Red ochre wall painting of "The Visitation" on south wall, C15. Life size figures of St. Mary and St. Elizabeth. Fragments of old C13 glass in two southern lancets - grisaille pattern with white borders.

V.C.H. (1967 Ed) VOL III pp. 162-3. PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.391.

Listing NGR: TQ1278738036

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
289979
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Malden, H E, The Victoria History of the County of Surrey: Volume III, (1911), 162-3
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 391

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Nov 2001
Reference: IOE01/05962/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Nilsson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].