This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1028861



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Mole Valley

District Type: District Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 28-Nov-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 289918

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


HIGH STREET 1. 1049 (South-East Side) Nos 144 to 148 (even) (The White Horse Hotel) TQ 1649 SE 1/8 28.11.51


2. Originally called the Cross House on account of its sign of the Cross of the Knights of St John. Built in 2 portions with the carriage entrance to the yard between the 2. The south-west portion is a timber-framed building refronted in the C18. 2 storeys. 7 windows. Rough plaster. Gable at each end and modillion eaves cornice between these. String course above ground floor. Tiled roof. Large C19 bays on ground floor below the gables. Glazing bars otherwise intact. Ceiling beams inside. The entrance to the yard has a bay window over it and above this a projecting gable. The north-east portion of the Hotel is early C19. 2 storeys. 5 windows. Painted brick. Stringcourse. Eaves cornice. Tiled hipped roof. Glazing bars intact. Doorway with pilasters and projecting cornice over. Formerly a further carriage entrance at the north-east end of this portion of the Hotel; now converted into a shop. 2 windows above, cornice and parapet.

Nos 132 to l56 (even) and Nos 164 to 170 (even) form group.

Listing NGR: TQ1669049479

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 16690 49479


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1028861 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 12:19:39.

End of official listing