This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

8-12, CASTLE GARDENS, 14, CASTLE GARDENS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 8-12, CASTLE GARDENS, 14, CASTLE GARDENS

List entry Number: 1028883

Location

14, CASTLE GARDENS
8-12, CASTLE GARDENS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Mole Valley

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Brockham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 28-Nov-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 289870

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CASTLE GARDENS 1. 1049 BETCHWORTH PARK Nos 8 to 12 (consec) No 14 TQ 15 SE 8/96 28.11.51. II 2. Formerly the stables to Betchworth Castle. Built in 1798-9 to a design by John Soane. Since converted into cottages. The stables were built round 3 sides of a quadrangle. Faced with flints. Slate roof. 1 storey only, except the centre of the north side which has a projection in the centre of 1 window bay and 2 storeys flanked by pilasters with a round-headed arch over the 1st floor window, eaves bracket cornice, hipped roof. Verandah added to the ground floor with slate roof over [a drawing by Soane shows Doric columns standing within the space of the central entrance way and supporting a cornice across the lintel]. The portions flanking this have 4 window bays, each flanked by pilasters and containing round-headed windows, one of which in each case has been converted into a door. Eaves cornice over. The east and west wings of the quadrangle are similar buildings of 6 window bays with the southernmost window bay projecting. 2 windows are blocked on the west side and one converted into a door. One is blocked and 2 converted into doors on the east side. The south ends of these wings have 4 pilasters and one round-headed window each. Adjoining the east wing is a small early C19 house of similar height (No 14). 2 storeys, 2 windows. Double hipped slate roof with central stack. Sash windows with glazing bars above. Below, casement windows in reveals with slightly segmental arches. All windows with shutters. Photographs in NMR.

Listing NGR: TQ1898050300

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 18980 50300

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1028883 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 06:54:45.

End of official listing