This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1029048



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Reigate and Banstead

District Type: District Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-Jan-1989

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 289476

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


COLLEY LANE TQ 2450 (East Side, off) 10/270 North Pavilion Cottage and South Pavilion Cottage GV II

Cricket pavilion and 2 cottages, now 2 dwellings. 1937 by Sir Edwin and Robert Lutyens for Sir William Mallinson of Pine End; converted c.1950. Graduated weatherboard; wood shingle roof. H-shaped plan, having former cricket pavilion to centre, on ground floor, with 2 changing rooms at front and washrooms at rear; cottages forming cross-wings and on 1st floor extending over pavilion; at rear, centre, linked block of outbuildings. Crosswings 2 storeys, centre 1 storey with attic. 1:3:1 bays. Windows wooden framed with smallpane glazing and casements. Central range has attic under catslide roof supported by artificial stone columns, paired flanking centre, so forming ground floor loggia which is brick-paved and has a recessed central entrance formerly with a board door on each side into changing rooms, that on left blocked; outer bays each have a 4-light window. Attic floor: central, wood-shingled clock tower with hexagonal clock face in panel and hipped gable, flanked by 2 light, hipped dormers. Cross- wings have a 2 light window on each floor (those on ground floor inserted at conversion) and swept hipped roofs with metal ridge stacks of coupled, polygonal flues. Returns each have: steps up to central door with small pane glazing over panel, in architrave with console bracketed pediment; a 4-light window either side and 3 of 2 lights above. Rear: cross-wings each have a French window and 2-light window above; central range formerly had on each side of outbuilding block a board door with a small 4-pane window to outside and two to inside, door on left now a wide window, door on right now a French window. Two 4-light attic dormers; outbuilding block of brick with a board gate (at junction with main range) and door to each return. Interior: board doors with strap hinges.

A S G Butler, The Architecture of Sir Edwin Lutyens, Vol 1 Country Houses (1950).

Listing NGR: TQ2448150731

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 1, (1950)

National Grid Reference: TQ 24481 50731


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1029048 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 02:30:48.

End of official listing