WALTON MANOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1029054

Date first listed: 24-Jul-1954

Statutory Address: WALTON MANOR HOUSE, CHEQUERS LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WALTON MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1029054 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 15:17:47.

Location

Statutory Address: WALTON MANOR HOUSE, CHEQUERS LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Reigate and Banstead (District Authority)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: TQ2214655156

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 25NW 3/70

CHEQUERS LANE (North Side) Walton-on-the-Hill Tadworth

Walton Manor House (Formerly listed as Walton Manor South)

24.7.54 II* Medieval house. C14 onwards, remodelled in the C17 and late C19 and much reduced. Older parts have prominent quantities of greens and mixed with flint Cl9 parts brick, half timber and tile hanging in the Norman Shaw manner. Cl9 plain tile roof with rubbed brick stacks. Embedded in the extension are the remains of the manor house, consisting of a 2 storey hall and chapel projecting forward at the east end. The only remains: are in the west end of the house - see 'Interior'. 2 storeys, mixed fenestration one early C17 mullion and transom window survives; 4 lights with drip, now part concealed behind porch. C20 variant on first floor above and armorial plaster panel between dated 1626. Projecting 2 bay wing to the right with C19 sash windows; restored buttresses and gable lit attic. Slight protruding portion to the left with one C16 ground floor window set in deep recess and to the left a large c1880 gable break. Interior: Fine Adam style fireplaces on ground floor rooms on SE corner, large Cl8 and C19 panelled drawing room to south west with remains of the west wall of the old manor; a stone wall with moulded doorway and an arched triangular window either side. This is the only remaining house of this type in Surrey. PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey 1971.

Listing NGR: TQ2214655156

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 289487

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971)

End of official listing