FLANCHFORD MILL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1029111
Date first listed:
31-Mar-1977
Date of most recent amendment:
14-Dec-1998
Statutory Address:
FLANCHFORD MILL, FLANCHFORD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of FLANCHFORD MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1029111 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 10:12:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
FLANCHFORD MILL, FLANCHFORD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Reigate and Banstead (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ 23517 47960

Details

TQ 24 NW 902/25/272 31.03.1977

FLANCHFORD ROAD (East, off) Leigh Flanchford Mill

II*

Watermill. Mid-C18 ("1768" etched in wall of pit floor), for James Scawen (Stidder, p29)); restored 1997. Timber-frame with replacement weatherboard cladding on basement (pit floor) of red brick in Flemish bond. Replacement plain tile roof. 3 floors; 1 x 3 bays, gable-end on. Windows are C20 replacements. Old board doors with strap-hinges. East end has door at ground-floor and loading door above with narrow window over. Alongside south side is breast-shot water-wheel of 1870, much-decayed. The brick basement has two round-arched openings for shafts, and 3 windows to ground floor. Further door to north side. Interior: Original timber frame survives well, having unjowelled posts braced to rails and sole-plate, vertical studs; roof has raking queen struts up to principal rafters, coupled common rafters with plank collars nailed on, no ridge-piece; large-scantling chamfered cross-beams and joists; old floorboards, particularly to 1st floor. Pit floor retains some horizontal board lining. In roof, six grain bins set between wooden staging, with trap-doors for sacks. Much original machinery remains (some parts collapsed) including: pit wheels and gearing linking waterwheel and millstones, sack-hoist and flour grader. Of the two original pairs of millstones, one basestone survives in situ with the wooden housing for the other. An unusual example of an C18 weatherboard watermill which retains much of its original machinery. D Stidder, The Watermills of Surrey (Barracuda Books Ltd), 1990, pp 28-30, illus p 16.

Listing NGR: TQ2351747960

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
289318
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Stidder, D, The Watermills of Surrey, (1990), 28-30

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].