GATTON TOWN HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1029114
Date first listed:
19-Oct-1951
Statutory Address:
GATTON TOWN HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of GATTON TOWN HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1029114 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 01:11:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
GATTON TOWN HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Reigate and Banstead (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ2745752895

Details

TQ2752 902/5/8C 19.10.51

GATTON PARK Gatton Town Hall

II*

Town hall to Rotten Borough. Late C18. Wooden small square ornamental garden temple with 6 Tuscan columns,triglyph frieze and pediment on stone pavement. Four of the columns are on the side facing the big house, but for economy the rear only has two columns. Here the few electors of Gatton cast their votes to return 2 members of Parliament until disenfranchised in the 1832 Reform Act. Behind the "Town Hall" is an urn inscribed "in memory of the deceased Borough" although it bears the date 1765(MDCCLXV). This is a stone urn with serpents entwined on a deep moulded plinth with wreathed rounders. That nearest the Town Hall reads "COMITIUM GATTONIENSE MDCCLXV", to the left "SALUS POPULI SUPREMA LEX ESTO", to the rear "STAT DUCTIS SORTIBUS URNA" and to the right "H M DOLUS MALUS ABESTO".



Listing NGR: TQ2745752895

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
289325
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/01375/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Noel Cahill. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].