OCKHAM PARK HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1029400

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1967

Statutory Address: OCKHAM PARK HOUSE, OCKHAM PARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of OCKHAM PARK HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1029400 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 06:48:54.

Location

Statutory Address: OCKHAM PARK HOUSE, OCKHAM PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Guildford (District Authority)

Parish: Ockham

National Grid Reference: TQ 06527 56514

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ O5NE OCKHAM C.P. OCKHAM PARK

2/111 Ockham Park House 14/6/67

GV II

Country House. Originally built in c.1638 for the Weston Family, altered in 1728-9 by Nicholas Hawksmoor for the first Lord King, extended in c.1830 in Italianate style for the seventh Lord King. Majority of house burnt down in 1948. Stripped and part restored in 1970's. Brown and red brick with hipped plain-tiled roofs obscured by parapets. Square block, 7 bays each side with lower extension to left. 2 storeys and attic over basement storey with central brick pavilion to roof. Entrance front:- moulded brick plat bands over basement, ground and first floors and to top of parapet with end pilaster piers. Two 3 bay ranges, either side of central shallow single bay recess. One Venetian window in attic storey, either side of centre with 2 sections of parapet raised up over. C20 fenestration, with all windows under gauged brick heads, 18-light glazing bar sash windows on main floor. Round arched fixed casement to centre of first floor. Former door to centre under gauged brick head, now blocked. Pavilion on roof: square with brick pilaster piers to corners under brick cornice. Octagonal lantern above under lead, ogee roof - capped by sphere finial. 4 brick walls containing arched openings placed diagonally from corners of pavilion with square brick stacks on the ends. Right hand return front:- 7 bays with centre paired and end pilaster piers. Two storey single bay extension to left end with end pilaster piers and a large splay sided C20 brick recess on centre of left hand return front under cement lintel. Interior: gutted and part restored. Empty at time of resurvey.

PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) pp. 394. Country Life. Article "Ockham Park, Surrey" Newly discovered designs by Laurence Whistler. December 29, 1950 pp. 2218-2221.

Listing NGR: TQ0652756514

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 288692

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 394
'Country Life' in 29 December, (1950), 2218-2221

End of official listing