Church of St Mary

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1029485
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1967
Statutory Address:
Church of St Mary, Horsham Road

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St Mary
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1029485 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 20:23:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Mary, Horsham Road

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Guildford (District Authority)
Parish:
Shere
National Grid Reference:
TQ 10989 44426

Details

TQ 14 SW 11/223

SHERE CP Holmbury St Mary HORSHAM ROAD Church of St Mary

14.6.67

GV I Church. 1879 by George Edmund Street, extended to west in 1966 by James E. Ralph. Snecked Holbury Hill sandstone with Bathstone ashslar dressings, plain tiled roofs with wood shingled bellcote and brooch spire to west end. Built on a prominent hillside site, the nave and chancel are under one roof, aisles in continuous catslide to main roof.

Two storey chancel to east with chancel chapel to north, vestries underneath. Early English style with four cusped and arched louvred openings on bellcote. Trefoil head arched windows to aisle walls and six lobed roundel window on west side of north chancel chapel. Two three-light ribbed cusped tracery windows to north side on first floor of chapel, two trefoil head windows below flanked by diagonal buttresses. Trefoil head two-light windows to storey chancel with complex five-light and roundel east window. Set into south wall of chancel is cusped arched niche with buttress piers to ends and crocketed gable over the chest tomb to the second Mrs Street. Quatrefoil band on recessed panelled sides and cross with floral decoration to top. Buttressed sloping roof transept block to south wall with rounded buttress to west end. Depressed three-step arch to basement stairway of north vestry door. Main door to south west corner in ribbed bolted stone porch recess, arched and chamfered porch entrance approached up a flight of six steps, panelled and planked door with strapwork hinges.

Interior: narthex to west end closed off by glazed screen. Three bay crown post roof to nave with pentice roofs to aisles. Nave arcade of octagonal grey stone - Pennant stone with marble shafts attached, coved rood screen with cusped tracery. Chapel to north (dedicated to the Holy Spirit) approached up a flight of steps. Vivid stained glass by Clayton and Bell from designs by G.E Street. Cusped windbrace panelled roof to chancel.

Fittings: painted and panelled pulpit. Octagonal stone font on four-lobed stem. Organ of 1881 by T. Lewis and at entrance to the organ chamber is an oak screen with carving of St Cecilia over designed by Arthur Street, son of the founder. Piscina and Sedilia in chancel.

Paintings: reredos in chancel shows Infant Saviour and Virgin attributed to Spinello Aretino, died 1410, donated by G.E. Street. North wall of north chapel twelve-sided framed painting possibly by Jacopo de Sellaio (1442-1493). Limoges enamel C12 crucifix also given by Street.

Narthex: Roundel by Luca della Robbia (1400-1481) given by J.R. Clayton of Clayton and Bell showing a Madonna and child in majolica work.

Listing NGR: TQ1099244426

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
288490
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/12381/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Norman Wigg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].