ALDRO SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1029521
Date first listed:
21-May-1985
Statutory Address:
ALDRO SCHOOL, LOMBARD STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of ALDRO SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1029521 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jul-2019 at 22:11:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
ALDRO SCHOOL, LOMBARD STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Guildford (District Authority)
Parish:
Shackleford
National Grid Reference:
SU 93375 45453

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 04/01/2013

SU 94 NW 2/114

SHACKLEFORD CP LOMBARD STREET Aldro School

(Formerly listed as the The Stables,Aldro School)

GV II

House, now school. 1894-1896 incorporating part of C18 house to left, porch added in 1906. By Henry Tanner Jnr for Sir Edgar Horne. Coursed Bargate stone to left with red brick above, stone dressings and rendered gable. Galleted sandstone with brick dressings to left, plain tiled roofs of varying heights, hipped to ends. L-shaped plan with wing projecting to front left, cobbled courtyard in re-entrant angle.

Left range: C18. Two storeys with plat band over ground floor and moulded wooden eaves board with corbelled ridge stack to left, massive ribbed Norman Shaw style stack to right at junction with main house. Sash fenestration with four glazing bar sash windows to first floor under gauged brick cambered heads. Three taller windows below. Small part glazed doors to ground floor right in re-entrant angle. Lower hipped roof wing to right angles at left end.

Main house: massive gable, jettied on moulded bressumer, with four brackets, two to ends and one either side of centre. Three louvred "breathers" under bracketed flat hoods to gable apex with three casement windows below under similar hoods and two leaded shallow angle bay wood framed casements on first floor flanking one 2-light casement to centre. Projecting ground floor with central break containing three leaded mullioned and transomed windows. Doric columned two bay arcade either side with keystones supporting entablature, blocked to left. One bay return to right end. End stack to right with angle bay attached to plinth, linking to right hand range set back. Plinth with coved eaves course and flat roof and flat roofed multi-light dormers. Three casement windows on first floor, 3 windows below. Panelled doors in left side of ground floor to centre.

Rear: three large dormers with heavy gables, jettied on braces. Angle bay to right end. Tall staircase window and stone mullioned oriel to centre. Tudor style wing to left.

Interior: considerable amounts of panelling visible, C18 and part C20 staircase with barley-sugar balusters and scrolled tread ends - taken from a house in Chiswick. Baroque fireplace surround and C19 plaster panelled ceiling to ground floor room on left.

Gardens originally laid out by Gertrude Jekyll.

PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) page 451.

Listing NGR: SU9337545453

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
288371
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 451

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/02168/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Down. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].