CHURCH OF ST MARTHA ON THE HILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1029553

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARTHA ON THE HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARTHA ON THE HILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1029553 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 19:23:36.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARTHA ON THE HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Guildford (District Authority)

Parish: St. Martha

National Grid Reference: TQ 02814 48302

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 04 NW ST MARTHA CP ST MARTHA'S HILL

4/94 Church of St Martha 14.6.67 on the Hill

II

Church. C12 remains incorporated or rebuilt into new church 1848-1850 by Henry Woodyer in Norman style. Dark Bargate stone with sandstone dressings and plain tiled roof. Cruciform plan with central crossing tower. Tower: one lancet to each face in zig-zag moulded surrounds, corbelled parapet to pyramidal roof. West end of church buttressed. Lancet windows throughout, west window with scalloped capitals to jamb shafts. Three light window to east wall of north and south transepts, three light window to east end. Round arched, C12 recess to studded west door with impost abaci. Stone dressed, roll moulded surround to south door placed in pentice break.

Interior: Simple, five framed bays to nave roof, crown post trusses. Four pointed arches to crossing - C12 (circa 1170) with semi-circular respond piers to north trancept under scalloped capitals.

Fittings: "Tub" font, C12 - recut in 1850. Brought from Hambledon. Stone with a flat wooden top.

Pulpit: Chalk, 1850. Panelled and roll moulded with Romanesque scalloped capitals to shafts, gable moulding on bottom with battering plinth.

Screen: Circa 1900. Wood, cusped with foliage carving. Tudor style arch to centre.

PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971).

Listing NGR: TQ0281448302

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 288351

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971)

End of official listing